University of New York in Prague (UNYP)
UNYP is the Czech Republic’s largest and most prominent English-language higher education institution. It is a private university in the centre of Prague that offers a variety of coeducational under- and postgraduate degrees in the fields of Business Management, Liberal arts, Social and Political Sciences.
- The University of New York in Prague was founded in April 1998 by the State University of New York at New Paltz and Empire State College, both of which are part of the State University of New York.
- UNYP is the greatest choice for any international student because it is the only institution in the Czech Republic that offers both an accredited American and an accredited European diploma for undergraduate studies.
- Thanks to being relatively small, The University of New York in Prague can provide it’s students with individual approach on the daily basis, from counselling center, helping students to cope with expectations and pressure of academic life, to academic advisors, ready to provide information on course options and career development.
- UNYP maintains partnerships with universities such as La Salle University in Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, USA), Institut Universitaire Kurt Bosch in Bramua, Switzerland, University of Greenwich in London and University of Bolton in Greater Manchester, England.
- UNYP now has over 800 students from over 60 nations enrolled. Faculty members come from the United States, the European Union, and the Czech Republic (a total of more than 30 countries), with academic and professional credentials. All programs are taught in English.
- The university maintains a Career Office that assists students in finding internships or jobs and collaborates with a variety of businesses. BMW Group, Keastone, Exxon Mobile, and Kohlberg Kravis Roberts are among the most successful alumni.
Option for dual degrees in the United States and Europe
The dual degree option is available to UNYP students pursuing an American bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Communication & Media, International Relations, or Psychology. After completing their studies and receiving State University of New York’s degree, students can also sit for Czech state exams and receive a degree from UNYP (bakalář – Bc.) This is a unique benefit available to UNYP students, who can graduate with two distinct academic titles, one from the USA and one from the EU, and thus have prospects to work all over the world.
The institution is constantly expanding its dual-degree options, including a newly announced partnership with Dublin Business School (DBS) to introduce new post-graduate degrees to Prague.
University of New York in Prague rating
The university is included in the top 20 universities in Prague and the top 40 universities in the Czech Republic, with acceptance rate being 54%.
University of New York in Prague campus
The campus and student residence buildings are located in the central district of Prague – Vinohrady, which combines historical charm with cutting-edge technology. Modern classrooms, a library, a fitness facility, and a swimming pool are among the amenities available on the university’s campus.
Student housing is an important element of the university experience. UNYP offers students a variety of housing alternatives, ranging from the university’s own Belgicka Residences to partner residences in the neighborhood and surrounding area. Cafés, restaurants, public transportation, and other amenities surround all student housing.
Bachelor’s degree programs
The university suggests a variety of American and European Bachelor programs in different fields. Here is the list:
American degree programs (4-year studies):
- Business Administration
- Child Development
- Communication & Media
- Digital Media Arts
- English Language & Literature
- International Relations
- Information Technology
- Political Science
European degree programs (3-year programs)
Business Administration (possible majors/concentrations):
- Human Resources
- Sports Management
Admission requirements include:
- Completed UNYP application form
- Certified copy of your high school diploma + nostrification
- Certified academic transcripts
- Motivation letter
- Letter of recommendation from a professor or supervisor who can attest to your ability and motivation for enrolling in this program
- An English language certificate (see the full list of possible test scores)
The required level of English is B2
- All UNYP students must write an English language entrance essay during orientation. Students of Business Administration, English Language and Literature, and IT majors are required to sit the Math Aptitude Test.
Post-graduate degree programs
M.A. (Mgr.) in Psychology
The Master’s degree (2 year program) in Psychology provides a theoretical and practical basis in the following fields:
- clinical psychology,
- health psychology,
- educational psychology,
- organizational psychology.
Graduates of the program will have gained theoretical knowledge and skills to work in several sectors of psychology, such as counselling, research, and academia, with the opportunity to continue their studies in any of these areas.
The UNYP MBA (18 month program) is designed to provide learners with the knowledge and experience necessary to pursue a successful business career while also allowing them to build a wide range of personal and interpersonal skills and competences.
After completing their core program, students may choose from five concentration areas:
- MBA in Finance
- MBA in Entrepreneurship
- MBA in Marketing
- MBA in Management
- MBA in Global Business Services
Ph.D. by research
The PhD program (full-time – 3 to 4 years; part-time – 5 to 7 years) is designed for students who want to do supervised doctoral research, resulting in defending of a standard doctoral thesis, original and independent addition to the body of academic knowledge.
General requirements for admission are:
- Higher education diploma (bachelor’s degree for admission to a master’s degree; master’s degree for admission to doctoral studies);
- Certificate confirming the level of English;
- Successful completion of the introductory interview and test for the chosen program.
Tuition fees at UNYP
Bachelor’s degree programs come at a tuition fee calculated by credits.
European Bachelor’s degree consists of 180 credits, 3100 CZK per credit.
American Bachelor’s degree consists of 128 credits, 6200 CZK per credit.
Post-graduate degree programs come at a one-time tuition fee of 360,000 CZK.
Financial aid at UNYP
Each semester, the University provides a number of academic scholarships to qualifying bachelor’s degree applicants in the form of a tuition discount depending on their academic achievement.
Admission Merit Scholarships
Students who demonstrate excellent school results and score very high on internal English and Math admission tests, and prove deserving during the admissions interview can be recommended for up to 50% off annual tuition fees.
Sports Achievement Scholarships
A sports achievement scholarship is given in honor of exceptional performance in an athletic effort based on one or more of the criteria listed below. They are determined by the applicant’s greatest accomplishment at the time of application: Applicants who have represented their country’s national team at an international level are eligible for a 20% tuition fee reduction, and applicants who have placed in the top three in their sport at a national level, either individually or in a team event, are eligible for a 10% tuition fee reduction.
Academic Achievement Award
Awards of CZK 12,500 are given to the 20 undergraduate students with the highest GPA for the previous semester, which are open to all current degree-seeking Bachelor’s students. The money will be added to the tuition for the next semester.
Social and housing stipends are also granted, if applicable. To get all the newest information and a full list of financial aid available, visit UNYP website.
The Student Council coordinates a wide range of student activities and clubs, including but not limited to: UNYP TV club, that supports vlogging and event reporting, Poetry Club, Podcast Club, Creativity Club (music, photography, painting) and Debating Society. In order to encourage well-rounded physical education of it’s students, access to a variety of exercise and swimming facilities is provided for free.
Leave a commentYour comment